I am thinking of creating my own railway sandbox game

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• I've started the exercise, but progress slowly, currently to get programmable meshes working.
    I start with an engine called Xenko, which based on .net core and .net standard, and a unity-like engine.
    The advantage of this engine is every part of it is supplied as NuGet component and it supports the latest version of .net, I can build the game directly in vs, so seamlessly between the underlaying algorithm part and the game part, and easily I can mix f# and c# parts in this way.

This guy is too lazy to create a signature. 8o

• Enzojz; you are probably on track excuse pun. TPF has been a good starting point but was flawed from the beginning. You are right the environment is very poor. I have given this problem a lot of thought but I am not a software programmer. However, what TPF inadvertently turned out to be was a virtual model railway, but with flaws. Very difficult to make models etc etc, and inefficient. There is no need for citizens with such irrelevant detail, a complete and utter waste pc power. Random would be perfect. Cargo yes, but you need some more detailed information as per TPF.
    Something like Unreal/Unity engine would possibly be an answer?
    Model railways as a hobby is a very big market, a market TPF never exploited. It's also a global market. As people have to live in ever smaller homes, having a model railway is impractical. TPF is the nearest yet to a virtual model railway. My suggestion is work on that premise, market it properly outside a games aggregator (Steam, GOG etc) and make it moddable. For what it's worth that's my pennies worth. I would also invest in such an idea with the right people.

BlueBrixx