Campaign/Mission Moding

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• Hi Everyone,

I made a mod with a short and simple campaign/single mission to test out where its possible to do.
    The mod is the first few steps of what I hope to be a much larger mod which goes through the transport history (with some fiction added) or the Austrian state of Tirol.
    I've uploaded it on Steam Workshop (Historic Tirol & sub-mod), but cannot upload here because the save game file required is larger than 100 mb (the upload size limit - even after zipping).
    If there is a solution, I'd be happy to upload here as well.

The mod is here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=903743920
    and the sub-mod required to play it:
    http://steamcommunity.com/shar…filedetails/?id=903934855

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas, and most especially, anyone willing to make special 3D content (e.g. new specific industries) for the mod.

Enjoy!
    Osprey

• @osprey finally somebody dares to create campanign missions. Nice :thumbsup:

But I have unfortunately already my first problems:

• I do not know what to do in the first mission. I'm supposed to bring cheese to the villages but there are no industries on the map so where should I take the cheese?
    • The map is quite big. For many players probably too big to be able to play it smooth.
  • @SuperPaul5000
    Tthanks for the feedback!

1. The industries are initially disabled (like the machine factory in the 1st Europe campaign mission) and thus don't show up in the industry list. However, once you click on the question marks over the towns, the locations of the Alms are highlighted and they activate as soon as they are connected by road.
    As this has already caused confusion, I will change how it works in a future update.

2. It is quite large, but lots of it is very empty. I have specific reasons why its so big, but first, what performance concerns are most relevant?
    I assume the large map size takes a good deal of memory, but isn't it the numbers of agents (e.g. people) who mostly cause problems for late-game performance? In terms of agents, most of the towns have sever limits to their growth because of the terrain, so it might not be as big a problem as it might be for other maps. In any case, I would like to be able to limit town growth in various ways: for example, to limit the growth potential of some towns more than others (i.e. the small town in a small valley should never grow anywhere near as big as Innsbruck, nor as fast). I have asked the developers about this and they say that it is not possible to do this currently with modding, but they will see if they can include it in the next patch.
    The reasons I want the map to be the size it is are several: first, that I want part of the mission to be about constructing the main train lines through the area, and that's no fun if they aren't very long, and second that the map has to be at a sufficiently large scale that there is enough space in the valleys for the town to grow and for the transport connections. I could make the area covered smaller, but then its no fun building the Brenner railway that doesn't even go to the Brenner pass (already the Arlberg railway will not reach anywhere close to the Arlberg pass/tunnel), or could change the scale, but then there is no space in the valleys to build. Non-rectangular maps would greatly help with this issue, but I'm not sure how likely we are to get them...

• It is a quite old thread, but i would like to thank you for your mission as it inspired me to create my own one.

I was also confused at the beginning. First, i connected the mentioned towns with the Inn valley, since the alms are so small, i did not notice them. Also, at the time i played your mission, i was not familiar with the yellow question marks, so i didn't pay too much attention to them.

But that is definitely my bad. The map is very nice, and i played it quite long, even after the mission was completed.

Thank you!

• Thanks! Did you look at the code from mine to help? I assume you at least looked at the original UG written mission scripts!?

Next time I download transport fever, I'll give yours a go. It sounds good!

Its a shame people don't take much notice. I think there is a lot of potential for really fun missions and campaigns, if only there are people willing and able to write them.... and especially if UG fulfilled a few modder wishes in this regard (e.g. being able to mod town behaviour - like if you could force some towns not to grow industry, so they remain residential villages - it could add some more interesting strategy than all towns being essentially identical mixes of land-use types just with different populations).

• I looked at yours first and also copied parts of it. But i rewrote almost everything after i looked at the original missions. There are a lot of obstacles... finding the right IDs of the industries, figuring out how the missions are connected... One thing which was particulary messy was the deployment in the workshop. It took me some time to figure out how to publish it as only one package... UG is looking into that, since i wrote a mail to them. They also said that translating missions will be possible after the next patch. (I used a little trick to achieve the same thing).

There are a lot of interesting elements that would make a campaign special... new goods, new buildings, new vehicles. The sad thing is - in the moment i published my campaign, which includes new goods, people instantly asked for the mod and the map seperately...

I'm already working on my next campaign, but i won't haste this time :)

BlueBrixx