beginners problems

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• can anyone offer me some advice on gameplay?

I am playing a free game with a huge map on easy. However, no matter what I do I seem to run out of money quite quickly, and never make it to more than around 1880.

I tend to look for a town near a farm and a processing plant and then build a cargo line to get raw materials from the farm to the processing plant and then on to the town. In the town I build a passenger route around the town (and to the cargo depot). The passenger route seems to be a bit underused until I add a second route from one stop in that town to a single stop in a nearby town. This then means I have to add a local bus route to the second town too. I add enough buses/horse wagons to each of the routes so they run at less than 10 minutes, but they still seem to make very little money, never enough to cover the initial costs.

I've tried with trains for the cargo, but the costs there are even more so I never get to make enough money to break even.

Also, how do I get my trains to run on two lines? If I build a 2 track station at each end and join then with two separate tracks I can't add two trains. They both get stuck waiting for a clear route. I've tried playing about with signals but as there are two lines, I can't see how it's supposed to work.

On the cargo, it seems that unless I have a huge complex set of routes nobody does anything. The farm-processing plant-town chain is simple and easy to implement, but when I have to get crude oil-refined oil-plastics and slag-steel-construction materials and various other combinations in order to complete a single product chain, it becomes too expensive to be able to implement. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi!

Okay, well one issue at a time, I would say. It seems like you're still missing some basic concepts, but that's okay - everyone has to start somewhere.

Let's see if I can help you with your train problem:

The most cost-efficient way to start you train empire is to have two stations (one track each is enough, though you can futureproof them with more if you have the money).
    Then connect the two with a track. This is okay if you only have one train running, as soon as you want two trains, you'll need a so-called "passing loop" (feel free to google this in case my description isn't good enough).
    A passing loop enables two trains on one line to run on a track that only has a small segment of double track. I have attempted to draw this concept crudely here:

STATION ___________S____<-__________________ STATION
    __________________\_____->___S_/

"S" is a signal. For Transport Fever, only two signals are absolutely necessary - one at the end of each track of the passing loop.
    Don't forget to make the passing loop long enough to accomodate your whole train! Otherwise you'll run into the same problem all over again :)
    Also a nice option if you have three stations connected like this: A - B - C; simply make station B your passing loop by adding a second platform to the station.

Once more than 2 trains are needed I suggest upgrading to double track to make things simpler. Don't forget to add switches (turnouts) at each station so the trains can always reach the desired track and use signals to force the trains there.

...and to your money problem: one of the most foolproof ways of making money in Transport Fever is to transport passengers by train from city to city - though it may take some practice to get right.
    Hope this helps!

Lg, YstlDystl

BlueBrixx