Translation question

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• I have translated most of the in-game text to Dutch, but I can’t find the translatable strings for the tutorial, campaigns and achievements.

The text I translated is in the folder Transport Fever\res\strings, which contains translatable strings for the interface (base.mo) and most of the content (res.mo).

The achievements are probably on Steam somewhere, so out of reach for now.

The original, German text for the tutorial and campaigns can be found in the lua files in Transport Fever\res\campaign, but those files don’t change if you change the game language, so the translated strings will have to be stored somewhere else. So my question is: where are they? I have looked everywhere, but I just can’t find it. Does anyone here know?

• Technical in res.mo.

However the base language is German (as seen in the campaign text), so while the base game translates from English to German,
    you should be able to find German to English translation in res/strings/en/LC_MESSAGES/res.mo

Note: There are some strings hard coded in the exe, but the mission descriptions should be in res.mo.

You may want to contact Urban Games directly, maybe the like to add Dutch as translation.

@tomdotio Dutch people like to play transport games too ;)

• Hi eis_os. Didn’t you use to work on TTD Patch way back in the day?

Anyway, res.mo doesn’t contain the campaign strings (I already translated that file). It contains things like vehicle names and descriptions, loading screen tips, etc, but none of the campaign stuff. It would be the most logical place for it, of course.

I guess I’ll have to ask Urban Games. I already wrote them an e-mail about some crashes I had, so when they reply to that I can raise the translation as well. I’d love it if it is officially included in the future, but first I need to do more play-testing, it isn’t good enough yet.

• TTDPatch, sure, I worked on stuff like canals or higher resolution for the windows version. :D

I did a short test on an older GOG Version, looked into Transport Fever\res\campaign\eu\04\script.lua

"Betreibe eine Fluglinie zwischen".....

Found in res.mo (converted to po)

Code: res.po
    msgid ""
    "Betreibe eine Fluglinie zwischen [link=${planeTown0}][/link] und [link="
    "${planeTown1}][/link] sowie eine Bahnlinie zwischen [link=${trainTown0}][/"
    "link], [link=${trainTown1}][/link] und [link=${trainTown2}][/link]"
    msgstr ""
    "Operate an airline between [link=${planeTown0}][/link] and [link="
    "${planeTown1}][/link] as well as a rail line between [link=${trainTown0}][/"
    "link], [link=${trainTown1}][/link] and [link=${trainTown2}][/link]"

Or can you give me an sample string?
    Otherwise do a filesearch, it's either in the translation files or exe file.

• This is really weird. The res.mo file I have is from the Steam release, and the latest version of Transport Fever (last week’s patch). Its size is 63.441 bytes and according to Poedit and Trados, it contains 501 strings. The strings you quote are simply not there. I have attached the converted .po file to this post. What tool did you use to convert .mo to .po? And how big is your file?

Dateien

• res.zip

(21,9 kB, 206 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
  • I guess you use:
    "steamapps\common\Transport Fever\res\strings\de\LC_MESSAGES"

Under Steam -> Right Click TPF -> Properties -> Language -> Select Language -> English

Steam will download the English LC_MESSAGES and create (important):
    "steamapps\common\Transport Fever\res\strings\en\LC_MESSAGES"

This English res.mo File is around 293 KB.

Again as I said, the German res.mo is useless as the language is already German so there is no translation in it.
    msgunfmt from gnu getext-tools.

(A reason I prefer the GOG Version)

-edit-
    Changing Language will remove the other language folder, so you may want to create a backup!

• Thanks. It is all clear now. I’ll write it down for whoever is interested (ok, probably just for myself ;) )

Transport Fever was apparently developed in both German and English. For the English version of the game, only the originally German strings had to be translated, so only those strings are in both .mo files, and for the German version it is the other way around. Other translations have both German and English source strings in the same .mo’s (see image below).

So I could convert the Italian mo’s to po’s, remove all translations and translate from there, but that would seriously mess up my translation memories (I don’t want German strings in my English to Dutch translation memory), so I will translate them separately and merge the .po files later.

BlueBrixx