1800 - An early start - beta testing and complaints thread

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• Although I was never particularly interested in the really early days of railroading, I know that some people are. As such, the 1850 start date has always struck me as rather arbitrary.

This mod attempts to rectify that situation. You can pick a start year between 1800 and 1850 inclusive.

What this mod does:

It examines the availability start date of almost everything in the game, and where appropriate, adjusts that value to reflect the number you chose when you loaded the mod.

If the game has something available starting in 1850, then the mod changes that to the year you chose. Trucks, buses, bridges, stations, roads, everything. The exception is rail stock.

The first load time option is the choice of year the game will start in. The mod will only apply this value if there are no transport lines defined, so it won't keep restarting in 1820 every time you load your save.

There is a separate menu option to choose when the vanilla rail vehicles become available. You can choose years between 1830 and 1850.

There is also an option to override the start year for modded vehicles that normally start in 1850. They can start in the same year as you choose for the vanilla rail vehicles.

Known issues:

The game will still show as having started in whichever year you chose using the game's own UI.

The date doesn't get changed from that default until after the map is generated and loaded. This leads to a more important point.

If, using the game's UI, you select a date from Era B or Era C, the generated map will contain both people and buildings which look decidedly out of place in 1825.

If you're going to use this mod, you'll want to select a date before 1900 from the game's UI.

Once you are in the game, you will not be able to set the date to a value before 1850, even if you have the Sandbox mod installed. This is a game limitation.

Saved games:

If you have an existing saved game, the date will already be past 1850, and the mod will do nothing for you. No point in adding it.

If you want to remove the mod from a saved game, do not do so until the game date has passed 1850, as you may find yourself with no available vehicles to purchase.

You're stuck with it if you've used the passenger station or the unguarded railway crossing.

If you want to try this out, you may also want to look into the following mods:

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=2098138102

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=2097700777

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=2305004789

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=2305005274

I thought I would post this here and let a few people kick the tires before I submitted it to the library for general consumption.

Let me know what you think!

This one seems to have eliminated the show stopping bugs with the vanilla stations.

Now published in the library:

Early Start

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von doug ()

• Before I install the mod for a new game I check the mod.lua and see my first hurdle:

The script checks for the Steam Workshop ID in the filenames to identify specific mods.

As I am a GOG user I cannot "normally" subscribe to mods from the Steam Workshop - and I don't like folders with those ID numbers in my mod folder so I rename them using the mod naming conventions.

I guess I have to edit the parts of the script to fit to "my names".

But ... which confuses me is that in the mod.lua are only checks for the existence of those 2 mods:

Code
    Wagonway Horses by Gr1m
    (Rail cars from) UK 1820s Set by SteveM4

but not for

Code
    Puffing Billy
    UK 1830s Set
  • I'll look at trapping the individual file names.

The reason I'm only modifying the two items:

The horses should be available regardless of the starting year - we've been using them as pack animals throughout recorded history.

Similarly, the cargo wagons should be available for the horses to pull.

These two items both have 1850 start dates in the mods themselves.

The 1820's and 1830's sets have historically accurate start dates for the individual locomotives, so I didn't change them.

• I miss railroad waypoints before 1850, expecially as I use the Freestyle train station which needs the "waypoints" as markers to make the mod work.

The files for the markers are sitting here

freestyle_train_station_1\res\models\model\lollo_freestyle_train_station\railroad\platform_waypoint.mdl

freestyle_train_station_1\res\models\model\lollo_freestyle_train_station\railroad\track_waypoint.mdl

Could this be the reason?

Or is it because inside the .mdl files it says

Code
                availability = {
                    yearFrom = 0,
                    yearTo = 0,
                },
  • I guess line 220 in mod.lua is the culprit. Or lines 230 and following are unfinished.

I set startYear to 1820 and railStartYear to 1850 - so the waypoints are available from 1850.

I want to have those specific early trains you mentioned in your first post be available from 1820 and all other trains stay as they are.

Edit:

I did the following change and it works:

I copied line 220-221 and pasted them after line 230, so they're the new lines 231-232, then I edited line 231 at the end and changed

Code
    railStartYear

to

Code
    startYear

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gordon Dry ()

• The Freestyle Station should be working properly now...

Also, the mod now updates the start dates on a couple of more rail cars - the ones included with Trevithick's Locomotives by SteveM4.

The mod is now checking all of the early rolling stock by file name, so should work with non-Steam versions of the mods.

• I have a crash, but cannot be sure what is the culprit. For me it seems that some zombie characters (aka. "persons") cannot be rendered - perhaps because it's before 1850.

But perhaps I misinterpret the log. Something with random numbers? Whatever...

It happens as soon as I let the game run (it was in pause mode from the beginning).

A "train" (waggonway horses with "coalbrokedale" tramway waggons) leaves the depot, freeze, CTD.

The year was set to 1800. Vanilla startyear to 1850.

End of log:

Log:

f850fec8-3474-400e-9f74-499d966f5d0b_stdout.zip

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gordon Dry ()

• This is my active mod list right now:

urbangames_sandbox/1 (0) (Sandbox mode)

!wagonway_horses/1 (0) (Wagonway Horses)

*1943222065/1 (322) (GWR Open Waggons)

*2018351077/1 (421) (GWR Van Waggons)

*2097700777/1 (0) ('Puffing Billy')

!uk_1820_set/1 (0) (UK 1820s Set)

*2305005274/1 (0) (UK 1830s Set)

*2069993974/1 (0) (Trevithick's Locomotives)

!dsd_StartPaused/1 (1) (Start Paused)

*2030557897/1 (18) (Modular elevated station for passengers)

*2363493916/1 (31) (Freestyle train station)

?dsd_early_start/1 (101) (Early Start)

I'll work on expanding it when I get the chance.

Do you have any luck with a smaller number of mods?

• Hey Doug,

How is this mod going? I have installed quite a few pre-1850 rolling stock mods but have to discipline myself to actually role play using them when there are much more capable 1850s engines and wagons available.

• Seems to be working OK so far. There is a little clean up needs to be done - the fallback versions of a couple of things (railway signals come to mind) are now available for purchase, which is a little silly.

Also, you get notified that a bunch menu versions of various vehicles become available for purchase. I'll need to prevent their availability dates from being changed. This stuff does not prevent the mod from working, it just adds some unnecessary goofiness.

Right now, you will run in to problems if you set the earliest start date to anything earlier than 1700. (This requires an edit to mod.lua in any event.) I'll put a check in to prevent such an edit from crashing the game.

I think the rail ticket price formula falls down a little at the very low speeds of the wagonway horses and the first steam locomotives. It's much harder to make money with them. Puffing Billy is a game changer when it becomes available in 1813.

I would surely appreciate it if you would give it a try. I was not able to duplicate the error that Gordon Dry encountered, but if someone else does, then I'm going to have to start combing through the code with great care...

BlueBrixx