If you would like to use World Machine to design and create your own height maps, don't hesitate to ask if you get into trouble.
Download it for free at world-machine.com or buy the cheapest version which is resolution independent (meaning you could make 4K or bigger height maps!)
Placing the cities
- Open the heightmap in Photoshop, Gimp or similar tools which have a ruler or measurement tool
- Make sure you measure from the center of the image
- The distance from the center of the image and to the end point of the measurement will generate a coordinate for X and Y axis
- Set the resolution of the X and Y axis. This is very important to get right! Note that you can combine any of these resolutions to get long but narrow maps.
- Type a name for the city
- Type the X and Y axis values into the input fields, and the correct values will produced for you
- Set the city size
- Copy the LUA code
- Paste the code into the towns section in the map.lua file.