[Blocked Image: http://ftp.train-fever.net/flaggen/gb.png] Development on Train Fever Mod Manager (TFMM) started during the beta phase of Train Fever. At that time, the main objective was to create a fast and efficient way to handle modifications. Modifications should be activated and deactivated easily to test their features and remove them from the game if necessary. TFMM combines easy handling with functionality.
Since its release, TFMM spread rapidly and is the most popular tool on train-fever.net, with over 10,000 downloads. Even though TFMM can be handled without prior orientation, this lexicon entry will provide all background information.
In this section, the usage of TFMM for all gamers will be explained. It will cover the installation of TFMM as well as the manipulation of the game with modifications through TFMM.
1.1 Download & Installation
The most recent and stable version is always available in the download database at train-fever.net. Download the latest version and extract the files to a directory of your choice. Start TFMM by double clicking on the executable. For TFMM to be able to open .rar files when running Windows, unrar.dll has to be present.
1.2 The First Start
When first starting TFMM, the settings window will pop up. The path to Train Fever's installation directory can be defined here. TFMM will automatically search for this path, and if it's not correct, you can change it manually. The program will tell you if the path is valid or not. If Train Fever is installed in a protected directory, administrative privileges may be required. You can start TFMM with administrator privileges by right clicking on the executable and selecting "start as administrator". After clicking "Save", the settings window will close and TFMM is ready to operate.
1.3 The Main Window
The main window is the central area for managing modifications in Train Fever.
- In the center, all available modifications are displayed. The list can be sorted by name, author, category and version. After restarting TFMM, the list will always be sorted by the installation date.
- On the right, the modification management is located. All selected modifications can be activated (enable mod in game), deactivated (remove mod from game), and uninstalled (remove mod from game and from list). Below the management, there is a button to display more information about a selected modification.
- At the bottom, you can add new modifications to the game (Add New Mod), open up the download section at train-fever.net (Download Mods), and launch Train Fever through Steam (Start Train Fever). On the right, TFMM version information is displayed.
- At the top, the application menu hosts the following entries:
- Settings (Ctrl + S) - open TFMM settings dialog
- Close (Alt + F4) - exit TFMM
- Add Modification (Ctrl + O) - add new modification to the game
- Export Mod List
- Export List of Activated Mods (Ctrl + E) - export a list of all activated mod as TXT or HTML
- Export List of All Mods (Alt + E) - export a list of all mods in the list as TXT or HTML
- Homepage (SCtrl + H) - open TFMM Homepage
- Update (Ctrl + U) - check for new version of TFMM
- License (Ctrl + L) - show versions- and license information
1.4 Add New Modifications
In order to add new modifications to Train Fever, all .zip and .rar (only Windows) packed mods can be dragged onto the TFMM main window. Alternatively, modification files can be selected via the menu, the button on the bottom left of the main window, or by pressing Ctrl + O. Added modifications are activated automatically and can be used in Train Fever right away.
1.5 Activate and Deactivate Modifications
As soon as one or more modifications are added to the TFMM list, these can easily be activated and deactivated in the game. It is also possible to select multiple modifications at once. Active modifications are labeled with [Blocked Image: http://ftp.train-fever.net/lexikon/TFMM/yes.png] while deactivated modifications are labeled with [Blocked Image: http://ftp.train-fever.net/lexikon/TFMM/no.png]. All selected modifications can be activated, deactivated and uninstalled via the management buttons on the right. When uninstalling an active modification, the mod will be deactivated first.
If a single modification is selected, information about it can be displayed (Mod Information). The preview.png image from the mod will also be displayed in the main window if it exists.
1.7 Errors and Conflicts
In case of conflicts between modifications or errors during program execution, TFMM will try to provide the best possible help. In case of unsolvable problems or questions, help can always be found in this forum.
In this section, all information for modders will be presented.
TFMM for Windows can read .zip, .rar and .rar5.
TFMM for Linux can only open .zip files.
For a modification to be accepted by TFMM, it is mandatory to include a "res" folder. All files inside this "res" folder will be handled as modification files and copied to the original Train Fever "res" folder.
You can add additional information about a modification if you include a TFMM.ini file. This file has to be added to the root of the mod package.
A overview of possible entries in this file is appended:
|author||String [, String]*|
|tfnet_author_id||Integer [, Integer]*|
2.3.1 Valid Categories
|building/signal||Signals & Waypoints|
2.3.2 Examples for TFMM.ini
Exemplary TFMM.ini for the "TFMM":
Exemplary TFMM.ini for a fictitious Modification:
2.4 Preview Image
TFMM can display a preview images for mods. Modders can add a "preview.png" to their modification. All images are automatically scaled and displayed in a 16:9 frame.
TFMM is developed and maintained by Xanos / Alexander Nähring.
In case of questions or problems, use this forum for contact. Alternatively, write me a PN or email.