Importing Heigh map doesn't work properly

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• Hello,

I wanted to import a height map I took off this site:
    https://terrain.party/

The map looks quite ok in greyscale image editor.

However, when I import into Transport Fever 2 it is too bumpy, shows strange "ripples" or "ridges", all aligned in the more or less same general direction.

Also the ripples seem to be rather high compared to the much less discernible terrain features.

I suspect that maybe the greyscale image is "compressed" for viewing, that is, there are much more values per pixel than I could discern and the image program somehow reduces this to something I can see.

The question is, how can I manage to bring this greyscale image with the features I see there into Transport Fever 2? I tried reducing the bit size from 16 to 8, but it just made everything more "blocky" and brought visible height steps, but without removing those ridges or ripples.

I tried "blur", but it seems to only blur in x-y direction, not z.

I use Gimp 2.0 for image editing. Any help is appreciated.

• Hello,

I had similar problems with terrain.party and subsequently have looked for alternatives. I found http://www.opendem.info, and downloading the GeoTIFF files the least cumbersome way. GeoTIFF files can be loaded into Gimp but you'll have to process carefully by reducing the colour range from natural heights in m to the range of 0 ... 1. Prior to that, everything looks white. You'll also have to take care to use mathematically (an not perceptionally) correct processing.

Gimp offers different ways of smoothing. The Gaussian versions are more likely what you are looking for, but the result still would not be really good (no program is able to tell between features and artifacts).

Going to 8 bit cannot help. Every picture has 2^bit distinct height steps. This is 256 for 8 bit, 65536 for 16 bit. Of course, the more steps within the same height range, the smoother looks the landscape. In case of 8 bit and a height range of 511 m, each step has a height of 2 m.

13! = 13*12!

• Ok, thanks. I hoped going 8 bit would smoothen things out (but it didn't).

I experimented a bit more and had some success using the color curve function, reducing low value pixels. That got rid of the ripples in the plains, but didn't (understandably) affect hills and mountains.

I will try opendem. Thanks!

BlueBrixx