Game crashes to black screen

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• Hi,

Am new to TPF2 having spent several years as a TPF player. To learn the game I have started with tiny map with no mods. Started game in 1850, but after only a maximum of 5 minutes gameplay the game crashes and monitor displays black screen. Switching to windowed mode and then back to full screen mode, uninstall/reinstalling the game, uninstall/reinstalling Steam nor clearing the cache have cleared the problem. Community pages on Steam suggest that it may be a PSU problem, but am not sure as the one other game I play - a non-Steam MMORG - has no problems during loading or game play. Any ideas or advice to rectify the problem would be most welcome.

Am using:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX660

Driver version 474.14

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

15.94 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home, version 22H2

• Hi Galahad and welcome to the forum. Please upload the stdout.txt file (it includes basic game information, loaded mods and hopefully a usable error message). Without the stdout.txt we have no change to help you.

You will find the stdout.txt in the user folder within the subfolder "crash_dump". Here is a documentation where to find the user folder LINK: https://www.transportfever2.co…emanual:gamefilelocations .

• Funny, in your stdout.txt the game notes Not all criteria met for tesselated terrain, fall back to legacy rendering. Then there are around 35000 ! lines saying Can not turn on terrain tesselation, it is not supported on the GPU. The tesselation stuff is new in the current release. Obviously your graphic card does not support it fully and it looks like the fallback doesn't work correctly. So the the game needs your help.

In your situation I would try this:

Go to your settings.lua and backup the file. Then edit the original file in a texteditor (like the windows editor or notepad++). Look for the the following lines and change the parameter from true to false, save the file and try to start the game again. I would edit this line first:

terrainTesselationEnabled = true,

and if there is still an error try to edit this line too:

enableDeferredTextures = true,

You will find the settings.lua in the user folder (should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<YOURSTEAMID>\1066780\local. Here is a documentation where to find this folder: https://www.transportfever2.co…emanual:gamefilelocations

• Game crashed on both occasions having amended the lines in the order as advised. Any other suggestions? The Nvidia GEForce home page advises that my current driver is the latest game ready driver.

• I don't see an error message when the game crashes, just a black screen. I have to turn off the PC (depress the on button for 5-8 seconds) and then power-up again and restart the PC.

• Mh, it says Not all criteria met for tesselated terrain, fall back to legacy rendering again but without those many follow up error messages. I wouldn't expected this message at all with the changed settings.lua. :/ But as no other error message can be seen (and I havent seen this problem in other threads in the forum) it may be the best to contact the Urban Games Support directly.

Here is a descpription how to do this:

Sorry, but I don't have any more ideas at the moment. Let's hope UG can help you.

• If you contacted UG I assume they will have informed you already but to be sure. It could be that today's patch Version 35300 solves your problem.

Version 35300 (March 17, 2023)

Fixed terrain rendering on GPUs which do not support terrain tesselation 

• Informed UG and forwarded them the stdout v2 file, but they have the same problem. The patch has only extended the playable time to about 10 minutes, so I'm still waiting a permanent fix.

BlueBrixx