Request to all mod authors (fix your mods!)

Willkommen in der Transport Fever Community

Wir begrüßen euch in der Fan-Community zu den Spielen Transport Fever und Train Fever, den Wirtschaftssimulatoren von Urban Games. Die Community steht euch kostenlos zur Verfügung damit ihr euch über das Spiel austauschen und informieren könnt. Wir pflegen hier einen freundlichen und sachlichen Umgang untereinander und unser Team steht euch in allen Fragen gerne beiseite.

Die Registrierung und Nutzung ist selbstverständlich kostenlos.

Wir wünschen euch viel Spaß und hoffen auf rege Beteiligung.

Das Team der Transport-Fever Community

• Hello, this is just a friendly request to all mod authors. When running your mods on Linux (and possibly Mac), quite a few of them cause Train Fever to crash to desktop, losing all work since the last save, which is quite annoying.

The problem is Linux (and possibly mac) have a CaSe Sensitive file system, so for instance in a model file:

Code
    id = "vehicle/train/Class_55/Deltic_Fan.msh"

is not the same as:

Code
    id = "vehicle/train/class_55/Deltic_Fan.msh"

This will work on Windows, but on other Operating Systems will crash out of Train Fever because it cannot find the .msh file
    With that said, many thanks for creating your mods, they have expanded the game immensely.

• When running your mods on Linux (and possibly Mac), quite a few of them cause Train Fever to crash to desktop, losing all work since the last save, which is quite annoying. The problem is Linux (and possibly mac) have a CaSe Sensitive file system, so for instance in a model file.

Unfortunately, I don't have the possibility to test my mods on Mac or Linux and as native german speaker, I'm also used to have a lot of Capitals.

But if anyone gives a feedback to a wrong character, I'll update my mod as soon as possible. I think most of the still active modders will do the same.
    But unfortunately there are also some inactive modders and some of their mods have lot of faults, not only case-sensitive.

• Thanks for your replies, I didn't want to sound like I was telling you all off, just wanted to make mod authors aware of this issue, as Xanos mentioned above, you don't need to run Linux, just keep filenames consistent and everything will work cross-platform just fine.

Thanks!

• I dont speak from mixing up. DarkMo and darkmo is not the same. But when I write everywhere the same DarkMo and the mac cant handle capitals at all... I dont have a mac, but what I heared speaks this language. Or why are mods with capitals bad at all? When its only the mixing-up thing, then i have no fear. But as I remember many Mac users are disappointed about mods, that run under Linux well (wich means to me, the Capitals are correct). Then often the answer comes "dont use capitals". So this means to me: Mac cant handle Capitals at all?! And this is - in my eyes - a basic feature of an OS.

Nochmal auf deutsch, da ich nich weis ob ich das auf englisch ordentlich zum Ausdruck bringen kann:
    Alles was ich bisher so mitbekam deuted schlicht darauf hin, das Macs mit Großbuchstaben generell nich klarkommen. Also auch wenn alles richtig geschrieben ist und überall immer an der richtigen Stelle die Großbuchstaben stehen, so gibts beim Mac beschwerden, dass es nich geht. Hier wäre mal ne ordentliche Aussage schön, was ein Mac nun kann und was nich. Isses nur wie bei Linux eine Empfehlung (also Großbuchstaben zu vermeiden) um das Risiko einfach zu umgehen, oder kann ein Mac garnich mit Großbuchstaben umgehen? Wenns nur ersteres ist, werde ich wohl nen Teufel tun und auf Großbuchstaben verzichten, da sie für mich "stilistisches" Mittel sind und für mich bei der Benennung einen Zweck erfüllen.

• Deutsch

Bitte beachten: Unicode Zeichen für Umlaute können zusammengesetzt oder in "Einzelteilen" gespeichert werden. OSX nutzt die zweite Form. Somit sind Umlaute und sonstige Sonderzeichen keine gute Idee. (Stichwort: decomposed Unicode chars)
    Beim dekomprimieren kann das eingesetzte Programm darüber hinaus dieses auch noch ändern. Beispiel: ÖBB

PS: Windows NT can be switched to be case sensitive. Well until they invented .NET 2.0 Updates https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929110

BlueBrixx